Music is a very important part of Calvary’s culture. Many in our community are inspired by our choir music on Sunday mornings, Jazz worship on the first Sunday of each month or the many concerts held at the Church. Others are inspired by participating in our choir. There are options for all.
Sunday Morning Worship
Music in Calvary’s Sunday 10 am Worship Service focuses on the Chancel Choir, Solo Quartet and Organ.
The Chancel Choir provides musical leadership in the worship of God every Sunday morning during the 10 am Service. It is comprised of exceptionally talented and accomplished singers, as well as those who aspire to learn, and to join in singing the finest choral works composed through the centuries, and with an emphasis on modern sacred music.
The Chancel Choir is open to all those with a desire to sing first-rate sacred choral music, and to be part of a mutually supportive, spiritually oriented community. Some musical background is helpful, but previous choral experience is not required. Rehearsals are held 7:30-9:30 every Thursday evening, and 9-10am preceding participation in the 10am Sunday Service. A bonus extra: two choir parties per year are renowned for their gourmet fare and conviviality!
Calvary’s Solo Quartet includes four professional soloists.
- Janet Campbell, mezzo-soprano, is a member of the San Francisco Opera Chorus; she is also a pianist, and was head of the voice department at the National Cathedral School in Washington DC.
- Keith Perry, tenor, has been a singer and director at Wells and Winchester Cathedrals in England, and at St. John’s College, Cambridge. He is a member of the SF Opera Chorus.
- Jeffrey Fields, baritone, sings with the Carmel Bach Festival, Philharmonia Baroque and American Bach Soloists; he has sung at Carnegie Hall; he has taught on the U. of Iowa music faculty.
Our Organist is:
- John Walko, organist, is a native of Cleveland, Ohio and moved to San Francisco in 1982 from Montgomery, Alabama. Since 1994 John has been the Organist at First Presbyterian Church of Berkeley and the Artistic Director of their Lenten Organ Recital Series. With the FPCB Chancel Choir he completed three European tours, including Eastern Europe, the Baltic region, and the Balkans. John frequently leads groups on tours of the great organs of Europe. Last summer he led a large group on his sixth organ tour, visiting Amsterdam/Haarlem, Paris, Bordeaux, Toulouse, and San Sebastian, Spain, where he also performed in recital. Read more about John here.
Our Youth Choir Conductor:
- Gabrielle Goozee-Nichols, Youth Choir conductor, started assistant conducting in high school; she studied Voice and Orchestral Conducting at UC Santa Barbara. While there, she organized a musical theater company serving as Vocal Director and Producer. After college, Gabrielle was Musical Director for shows with Alameda Children’s Musical Theater, and SF Arts Ed.
- Michael Conley, our new Director of Music Ministries, will start mid-October 2015. Our dedicated search team that has been discerning and working together since February have unanimously called Michael Conley to this position. You can read more about Michael by clicking here.
Calvary Live at 5, Third Sundays @ 5 pm
These Sunday evening services in Calvin Hall feature exceptional music performed by the Dave Scott Quartet, a group comprising SF jazz greats Dave Scott, Scott Foster, Daniel Fabricant and Surya Prakasha. Each service covers a unique theme, often featuring musical guests, exploring how music often serves as a metaphor for life—the ups, downs, and everything in between. All are welcome to these casual services.
Our Jazz Worship Music Director is:
- Dave Scott, Music Director for Jazz Worship Services, trumpeter and pianist, has toured and recorded with Boz Scaggs, Rosemary Clooney, Michael Feinstein, Marcus Shelby and Glenn Miller Orchestra. While finishing his Master’s Degree in Trumpet Performance, Dave Scott’s jazz combo won a national award from Down Beat Magazine; he performed at the Monterey Jazz Festival, in 2003. A classically trained trumpeter, pianist and conductor, he has performed with the Honolulu, Napa, and Santa Rosa Symphonies.
Concerts at Calvary
“The magnificent, acoustically glorious Calvary Presbyterian Church in Pacific Heights .. heightened the performance and left me feeling musically satisfied. – The San Francisco Classical Voice
Music and the Community
Calvary has a long and rich tradition of supporting musical endeavors in San Francisco.
In memory of Calvary’s beloved Director of Music Ministries, Alden Gilchrist, who worked at Calvary for over 65 years, the memorial committee at Calvary has established a scholarship opportunity for young artists.
Please click here for more information and the application form.