Music is a very important part of Calvary’s culture. Many in our community are inspired by our choir music on Sunday mornings, Jazz worship on the first Sunday of each month or the many concerts held at the Church. Others are inspired by participating in our choir. There are options for all.
Sunday Morning Worship
Music in Calvary’s Sunday 10 am Worship Service focuses on the Chancel Choir, Solo Quartet and Organ.
The Chancel Choir provides musical leadership in the worship of God every Sunday morning during the 10 am Service. It is comprised of exceptionally talented and accomplished singers, as well as those who aspire to learn, and to join in singing the finest choral works composed through the centuries, and with an emphasis on modern sacred music.
The Chancel Choir is open to all those with a desire to sing first-rate sacred choral music, and to be part of a mutually supportive, spiritually oriented community. Some musical background is helpful, but previous choral experience is not required. Rehearsals are held 7:30-9:30 every Thursday evening, and 9-10am preceding participation in the 10am Sunday Service. A bonus extra: two choir parties per year are renowned for their gourmet fare and conviviality!
Calvary’s Solo Quartet includes four professional soloists.
- Pamela Sebastian, soprano, performs with the San Francisco Symphony Chorus, Philharmonia Baroque and frequently as soloist with Bay Area performing groups.
- Janet Campbell, mezzo-soprano, is a member of the San Francisco Opera Chorus; she is also a pianist, and was head of the voice department at the National Cathedral School in Washington DC.
- Keith Perry, tenor, has been a singer and director at Wells and Winchester Cathedrals in England, and at St. John’s College, Cambridge. He is a member of the SF Opera Chorus.
- Jeffrey Fields, baritone, sings with the Carmel Bach Festival, Philharmonia Baroque and American Bach Soloists; he has sung at Carnegie Hall; he has taught on the U. of Iowa music faculty.
Our Organist is:
- Charles Worth, organist, is an all-round musician; piano soloist, chamber music player, vocal coach, accompanist and composer. He has taught at the Community Music Center, coached and accompanied the Affiliate Artists Program of the San Francisco Opera, accompanied the SF Symphony Chorus, and has toured widely as concert pianist/accompanist in Spain, France, India and Mexico as well as at Carnegie Hall where he accompanied scenes from the opera ‘Plump Jack’ composed by Gordon Getty.
Our Youth Choirs Conductor:
- Gabrielle Goozee-Nichols, Youth Choirs conductor, started assistant conducting in high school; she studied Voice and Orchestral Conducting at UC Santa Barbara. While there, she organized a musical theater company serving as Vocal Director and Producer. After college, Gabrielle was Musical Director for shows with Alameda Children’s Musical Theater, and SF Arts Ed.
- Alden Gilchrist, conductor, is Calvary’s Director of Music since 1965, serving previously as the church’s organist starting in 1951. A composer and vocal coach, Alden was awarded the Prix de Paris for 2 years’ composition study in France; in 1980 he founded Music in Schools Today for which he received the Prix de Martell in 1992 for “outstanding service in the San Francisco musical community.” He has instructed music theory and composition at UC Berkeley, CSU San Francisco and Dominican University.
Jazz Worship, Second Sundays @ 6:00 pm, February – June
These Sunday evening services in Calvin Hall feature exceptional jazz music performed by the Dave Scott Quartet, a group comprising SF jazz greats Dave Scott, Scott Foster, Daniel Fabricant and Surya Prakasha. Each service covers a unique theme, often featuring musical guests, exploring how Jazz often serves as a metaphor for life—the ups, downs, and everything in between. All are welcome to these casual services.
Our Jazz Worship Music Director is:
- Dave Scott, Music Director for Jazz Worship Services, trumpeter and pianist, has toured and recorded with Boz Scaggs, Rosemary Clooney, Michael Feinstein, Marcus Shelby and Glenn Miller Orchestra. While finishing his Master’s Degree in Trumpet Performance, Dave Scott’s jazz combo won a national award from Down Beat Magazine; he performed at the Monterey Jazz Festival, in 2003. A classically trained trumpeter, pianist and conductor, he has performed with the Honolulu, Napa, and Santa Rosa Symphonies.
Concerts at Calvary
“The magnificent, acoustically glorious Calvary Presbyterian Church in Pacific Heights .. heightened the performance and left me feeling musically satisfied. – The San Francisco Classical Voice
Calvary plays host to many spectacular musical events throughout the year. Please check our Events Calendar for upcoming events.